"I can see clearly now the rain has gone ..." ... yeah right!
*pitter* *patter* *pitter* *patter* ... sounds of the rain hitting the windscreen while on my way to work. Then over the radio I could here "I can see clearly now the rain has gone ... I can see all obstacles in my way ... ... it's gonna be a bright ... bright sun shinny day". I chucked to myself ... "ironic isn't it?" ... well, the rain was a prelude to how bad my day would get ...
I got to work a little earlier than usual so I was happy. Worked till midday & a colleague [let's call him 'Frank', who flew in from USA] stepped out of the meeting room mentioning that he wasn't feeling well. From one look you could tell it was bad. He was feeling very cold & didn't have a jacket. So being the nice guy that I am, I lent him mine. He sat down & asked for some panadol & coffee, not long before that he was vomiting in the men's room. Not good indeed. After a while, he returned to his chair & closed his eyes. A colleague walked by to check on him & it seemed like Frank was almost going to lose consciousness. He wasn't cold anymore but had a high temperature & was sweating too. A few more colleagues gathered to check on him when Frank performed 'projectile vomiting'. My colleagues scattered & we got Frank a bucket.
We had arranged a doctor to see Frank but the earliest appointment was 1 hour later so we called the ambulance instead. I would have thought the ambulance would arrive in a matter of minutes but it took at least 20 minutes. The paramedics took Frank away in a stretcher but he was starting to feel better, I think the vomiting helped.
As he left for the hospital, he left my jacket on the chair & the secretary returned it to me. She mentioned that she didn't think that any vomit was on my jacket but told me to check anyway. So I checked it out & there it was. Frank had vomited on my jacket. There were bits on the shoulder but not much ... but still ... someone vomited on my jacket!
Anyway, back to work. I'm currently working on a project for a client. It involves algorithms for filtering waves, commonly used for some processing. [For those who are utterly bored, see here. Did I mention that I've never been really good at maths?]. Anyway, I thought I had managed to make my program work yesterday. However as the day progressed, I did some calculations & figured out that my code may not be working as it should. Drats.
At about 3 hours later, Frank showed up at the office declaring that he is much better. He indeed looked better, grabbed his belongings & returned to his hotel to rest. Glad that he is ok [just wished he hadn't vomited on my jacket ... my jacket sacrificed in vain, it was only a minor ailment].
Fast forward to this evening. The family was watching tv & my sister mentioned that a tv personality was the same age as myself. Then mum declared ... "Aren't you 29?". Great ... mum forgot how old I am.
So, to summarise:- my jacket was vomited on ...
- my program fell to pieces [and the deadline is looming]...
- mum forgot how old I am [some would argue that it is a good thing]...
If I ever hear that song again at the start of the day, I think I'll just call in sick. Enough about me ... how was your day? Anyone vomit on you lately?
Labels: Me
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home