Sunday, 12 November 2006

The depth of a father's love ...

Today's 'sermon' by Richard was wonderfully eye-opening. I put quotes on 'sermon' because although it started out as one, in the end it became a demonstration. A demonstration of a father's love.

It began with the story of a prodigal son but ended as the story of a lost daughter. I've been to the markets at Melbourne, Sydney & Perth so as he was describing the scene, I was picturing it in my head. The endless crowds of people, the many shops. It is easy to get disoriented in a place like that especially so when you're visiting a city not your own.

When Richard started to cry as he relived the moments of losing her daughter, we cried with him. Having seen his lovely daughter, we knew who he was talking about, we cared too. As I replayed the scene in my head, the search was not only for a lost daughter but also lost was the heart of the father. In moments when you lose the one you love, for a moment, in despair, you lose yourself.

As Richard told the story with tears in his eyes, eventually finding his daughter, hearts of the congregation warmed, tears fell. That was a demonstration of a father's love. No other 'sermon' could come close, not one which was theologically sound, perfectly written or fantastically delivered.

I began saying it was eye-opening when in fact is was heart-opening. I hope you managed to experience a glimpse of the Father's love.

Have a great week!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home