God has a sense of humour ...
I have a colleague who is a senior programmer at our firm. He's about 40+ I guess and a father of 4 kids. He's really good at what he does, a very analytical & logical person. He basically is a free thinker and we have chatted about religion in the past. When I asked him about his views on religion, he said "I don't argue about those things anymore. What is the point, it is childish." He wasn't demeaning me or anything like that, he was just expression his personal view and there was no malice involved. Due to this conversation, I've never really brought up the issue of religion again when we spoke. We talk about other things, work, family etc.
Recently in the newspapers, there as been this 'new' view about 'intelligent design' where a combination of evolution and a 'God' is responsible for how the universe was created. He was talking about this and he told me how he is getting a book from a library to read up on this. Apparently, the libraries around Australia are networked and if you were to request for a book that wasn't available in Perth, they library would look for the book in other states and ship the book to Perth. [Note: He said if he failed to return the book, they'd charge his $150] Anyway, he called me into his office today and said "You must read this book, it is a great book".
The title "The Case for a Creator" by Lee Strobel. Sound familiar? He's reading apologetics!!! I didn't know about the book but I did notice the publisher 'Zondervan'. I was surprised and I had a smile on my face. So I quickly went back to my computer and searched in Koorong's online store and I found the book on sale of $7 bucks!!! To top it off, I opened the Koorong catalogue today and the very same book appeared.
I thought he'd be a tough nut to crack but here he is, reading the book which he found of his own accord. I didn't need to push, I didn't need to suggest a book ... he found it all on his own. Anyway, he has to return the book in 2 weeks so I'll buy him a copy ... I'll probably buy myself a copy too. Apparently it was on the New York Times bestseller list.
God sure works in mysterious ways doesn't he? :)
Labels: Church
2 Comments:
I love the book! Although I enjoyed reading his other book, the Case for Faith more (in which he lays out his reasons for his faith). He makes very compelling arguements in layman language. Very readable and highly informative.
There's no need to get the book at Koroong, when you have Rezource! (yes, unashamed advertising.) The last time I checked we were carrying several copies of both books.
And if you're wondering if I'm permanently online and spend all my time reading blogs... you'd be half right! The other half I spend trying to write essays...
All the best for your essay Marianne & thanks for your quick review of the book. Haven't taken a look at Resourze in the last few weeks so I'll probably buzz by.
Isn't it great that we have the capabilities of being online all the time? Where would we be without the internet? :)
Post a Comment
<< Home