Monday, 31 October 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha, the novel ...

I did some research & found an excerpt of the novel here. Quite an interesting read, I was near the end when my dogs started barking. I literally couldn't leave my seat since I wanted to finish the final section but alas, I gave in and attended to them.

I must say, I hardly ever read fiction. If you were to look at my bookshelf, you'd think I was a christian fundamentalist as almost every book is a christian book. You'd also find out that I'm a huge Max Lucado fan. He has a fantastic way of telling a story which in turn reveals God's love. A great storyteller, my favourite book would be Travelling Light. The other sets of books would be by John Maxwell, a great leadership teacher and finally Charles Swindoll, a great teacher of the bible.

So, I may pop into the bookstore to get a copy of "Memoirs of a Geisha". Checking over the internet, a paperback costs AUD$17 at Angus & Robertson.

I was also thinking about the actresses cast for this movie. I would have preferred someone less well known as Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh. Don't get me wrong, they're fine actresses however having seen both in so many movies, there is a lack of mystique which really is the drawing point of this movie.

Oh, I've again posted the picture of the geisha. It has the 'mona lisa' effect don't you think? Beautiful, with sad eyes. Haunting ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow ~g~ u must be spending times doing blogs n reading everyday ye:)
ye i was quite 'shock' to see the poster of the geisa at night:O but then its indeed a very 'captivating' pic..although i dunno y i dun really like her :P maybe becoz of the negative media news etc..anyway i do agree with ur point on getting these famous actress in this movie. have read about news on the making of this film, btwn gong li n zhyi..anyway part of media tricks i suppose..
gd tat u have so many christian book n resources..my bookracks in malaysia are full with books--christian n non christian, there are lots of great literature for non christian books actually..in mandarin though..can u read mandarin?

01 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ee Hui,

Yeah ... I should slow down in terms of blogging ... one post everyday almost ... and if you notice the times of those posts ... all late nights ... :P

I haven't heard any news regarding the making of this movie, so I don't quite know what went on. I would have preferred japanese actresses instead of Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh. Nevermind, still looks like an interesting movie.

Unfortunately I can't read chinese or speak it fluently. I still like to listen to Cantonese / Mandarin songs although I wouldn't know what they're singing about. *sigh* Went to a malay high school in M`sia. Still, I've only got myself to blame. My parents gave me plenty of opportunity to learn. I may have to give a speech in Mandarin since I'm the best man for my friend's wedding in Singapore (his family mainly understands Mandarin) ... what to do? We shall see ...

01 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home